Ben 10 Forums

In memory of Dwayne McDuffie.


You are not connected. Please login or register

TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 24th February 2013, 9:52 pm

Ursalink


Plumber
Plumber
Let's see, I have managed to see the episode and I have several things to comment:

1º) Nyancy Chan: Honestly, I found her as a ridiculous villain with the classic "cat-girl" topic. Please, did you saw the trap where Rook and Ben were trapped just when the episode started? It reminds me when a "cheap villain" from "Kim Possible" named Frugal Lucre tried to do the same with a "bitter-turtles" trap. You know?, I think Gwen would get angry with this girl because she uses the same topic of "Lucky Girl". (Her Lucky Girl's mask uses to have a feline design, and it's a way more attractive design that Nyancy's costume). Rook's species is cat-like?, I always saw his species more similar to racoons than cats. At least, of the weird villains that made a cameo in "Special Delivery" has been introduced. Ben's fight againt the tigers, it made me wonder if Ben should have used Rath for that battle. That would have been a real catfight!! But, do you think Nyancy could have been able to control Rath since he's a pretty dumb "cat"? Or her powers wouldn't have worked on him just like they didn't work on Rook?

2º) It's official. If "Special Delivery" was the most ridiculous episode I have ever seen, this has been definitely the most disgusting episode of all thanks to the Gourmands. Let's see:
+ If they are naked, my favourite race is the Merks (the version used since Alien Force); but there's an error in this episode. The Perks (original design in the first series) have three tongues, but the Merks (design from AF and UA) has just one normal tongue. You can see Merk Upchuck's tongue in the special "Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United" and some episodes like "Inspector #13". So why did they make the Merks have a three tongues in this episode?
+ The poor tigers swallowed and then vomited, I would have prefered Ben to use Rath for this fight. And when they tried to clean themselves of Upchuck's bile... Yuck!!!
+ The fact that all the Gourmands' stomaches are connected to some kind of "pocket dimension"... Double Yuck!!! I wonder if that means one can enter into one Upchuck's stomach and come out from another Upchuck's stomach. I wonder if Rico, from "The Penguins of Madagascar", has a link to this dimension too; explaining how it's possible for him to have so many things in his belly.
+ I know these guys don't usually need weapons because they can eat anything; but seriously, using spoons and forks as weapons? And cup and plates as helmets?!!
+ There's something I don't get from the Gourmands. In two scenes of the episode, we have seen them moving through the space's void (burping) and surviving; but in another scene, it seems they can't breathe or survive in space. If they can't breathe in space, how can they survive when they flight through the space with those "mega burpings"?
+ I almost kill myself when the Queen almost swallow Attea, but I'm not sure because it's was incredibly funny, or incredibly gross.
+ I share Ben's opinion about the Gourmand's Plan Omega: I'm speechless. And I can't believe Ben decided to join them to eat/destroy the planet.

3º) Good thing they mentioned the "big meanies" from Ben 10's universe, like Vilgax and Aggregor. But what did Rook mean with "Maybe the Highbreed at one time"? I thought the Highbreed had refromed themselves and they didn't want to destroy the galaxy after Ben saved their species.

4º) Ben mentioned Jetray and he tried to use it, but he was turned into Big Chill instead. Well, I hope this is a hint that means we will see Jetray in the future. I really want to see all Ben's alien forms with new designs for Omniverse.

5º) I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's just me or the new Teen Attea has a more "attractive look" than in her previous appearance. Do you think she could have a big role in the future of the series? If you ask me, I think the episode "Rules of Engagement" could be perfect for her to appear; since it's gathering a lot of girls from Ben's life. I think it coul dbe interesting to see Attea and Looma fighting each other, don't you think?

6º) I was a little nervous in the scenes where Ben and several other characters were thrown to the space. I see they couldn't breathe in the void, but how is it possible that they didn't explode because of the internal pressure from their bodies? Specially Attea, who only had a gas mask?

7º) Something weird I just thought. Do you think the Galvans (since Azmuth has shown previously being able to create living planets) could recycle the remains of the previous planets eaten by the Gourmands to create a new one? I'm just saying, because if there's always someone (or something) that feed on what you leave, I guess the remains of one planet could be useful to create a new one, don't you think?

8º) It was really weird for me to see Water Hazard with the "protective mask" shown by its action figure previously. I don't get it, what's the point of this mask? I think Water Hazard looks much better without it, honestly.

9º) The Wheel-Tank vehicle didn't impress me. It was no-original, honestly. I have seen a lot of vehicles similarly designed like this one in Marvel and DC Comics.

10º) I imagined that Attea would lie to his father to save her own skin. But it need a little help about something. What did exactly Milleous say at the end of the episode? I didn't get it. Specially when he activated the hologram or something that it looked like the Earth.

Well, what is your opinions and who can answer my question, please?

52 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 24th February 2013, 9:54 pm

Uncle Grandpa

avatar
Magister
Magister
Ursalink wrote:

3º) Good thing they mentioned the "big meanies" from Ben 10's universe, like Vilgax and Aggregor. But what did Rook mean with "Maybe the Highbreed at one time"? I thought the Highbreed had refromed themselves and they didn't want to destroy the galaxy after Ben saved their species.


That's exactly what he meant. At one time, they would have destroyed planets. But not anymore.


_________________
http://shrek.com

53 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 24th February 2013, 10:22 pm

Lukey

avatar
Plumber
Plumber
Lodestar's Advocate wrote:Why?

I mean, I can understand (even if I disagree) that you don't like the sillier aspects overshadowing the main plot. But if that doesn't happen, and it didn't in this episode, what's wrong with some silly stuff thrown in? Upchuck has always been a bit of a joke alien, so it makes sense that the Gourmands would be played for laughs.

Yeah, it definitely didn't overshadow the plot at all. I just personally didn't enjoy those bits.

I'm just coming to terms with accepting the fact that Omniverse is a very different show with very different priorities to previous Ben 10 series, so I actually wasn't criticising what I mentioned as a flaw in the episode, I just personally could have done without it.


Ursalink wrote:
+ I know these guys don't usually need weapons because they can eat anything; but seriously, using spoons and forks as weapons? And cup and plates as helmets?!!

Did this seriously happen? I must have missed that on the so-so quality version of the ep I watched...
That takes a chunk out of my approval rating for this episode D:

54 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 24th February 2013, 11:13 pm

painlee

avatar
Magister
Magister
Ursalink wrote:Let's see, I have managed to see the episode and I have several things to comment:

1º) Nyancy Chan: Honestly, I found her as a ridiculous villain with the classic "cat-girl" topic. Please, did you saw the trap where Rook and Ben were trapped just when the episode started? It reminds me when a "cheap villain" from "Kim Possible" named Frugal Lucre tried to do the same with a "bitter-turtles" trap. You know?, I think Gwen would get angry with this girl because she uses the same topic of "Lucky Girl". (Her Lucky Girl's mask uses to have a feline design, and it's a way more attractive design that Nyancy's costume). Rook's species is cat-like?, I always saw his species more similar to racoons than cats. At least, of the weird villains that made a cameo in "Special Delivery" has been introduced. Ben's fight againt the tigers, it made me wonder if Ben should have used Rath for that battle. That would have been a real catfight!! But, do you think Nyancy could have been able to control Rath since he's a pretty dumb "cat"? Or her powers wouldn't have worked on him just like they didn't work on Rook?

2º) It's official. If "Special Delivery" was the most ridiculous episode I have ever seen, this has been definitely the most disgusting episode of all thanks to the Gourmands. Let's see:
+ If they are naked, my favourite race is the Merks (the version used since Alien Force); but there's an error in this episode. The Perks (original design in the first series) have three tongues, but the Merks (design from AF and UA) has just one normal tongue. You can see Merk Upchuck's tongue in the special "Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United" and some episodes like "Inspector #13". So why did they make the Merks have a three tongues in this episode?
+ The poor tigers swallowed and then vomited, I would have prefered Ben to use Rath for this fight. And when they tried to clean themselves of Upchuck's bile... Yuck!!!
+ The fact that all the Gourmands' stomaches are connected to some kind of "pocket dimension"... Double Yuck!!! I wonder if that means one can enter into one Upchuck's stomach and come out from another Upchuck's stomach. I wonder if Rico, from "The Penguins of Madagascar", has a link to this dimension too; explaining how it's possible for him to have so many things in his belly.
+ I know these guys don't usually need weapons because they can eat anything; but seriously, using spoons and forks as weapons? And cup and plates as helmets?!!
+ There's something I don't get from the Gourmands. In two scenes of the episode, we have seen them moving through the space's void (burping) and surviving; but in another scene, it seems they can't breathe or survive in space. If they can't breathe in space, how can they survive when they flight through the space with those "mega burpings"?
+ I almost kill myself when the Queen almost swallow Attea, but I'm not sure because it's was incredibly funny, or incredibly gross.
+ I share Ben's opinion about the Gourmand's Plan Omega: I'm speechless. And I can't believe Ben decided to join them to eat/destroy the planet.

3º) Good thing they mentioned the "big meanies" from Ben 10's universe, like Vilgax and Aggregor. But what did Rook mean with "Maybe the Highbreed at one time"? I thought the Highbreed had refromed themselves and they didn't want to destroy the galaxy after Ben saved their species.

4º) Ben mentioned Jetray and he tried to use it, but he was turned into Big Chill instead. Well, I hope this is a hint that means we will see Jetray in the future. I really want to see all Ben's alien forms with new designs for Omniverse.

5º) I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's just me or the new Teen Attea has a more "attractive look" than in her previous appearance. Do you think she could have a big role in the future of the series? If you ask me, I think the episode "Rules of Engagement" could be perfect for her to appear; since it's gathering a lot of girls from Ben's life. I think it coul dbe interesting to see Attea and Looma fighting each other, don't you think?

6º) I was a little nervous in the scenes where Ben and several other characters were thrown to the space. I see they couldn't breathe in the void, but how is it possible that they didn't explode because of the internal pressure from their bodies? Specially Attea, who only had a gas mask?

7º) Something weird I just thought. Do you think the Galvans (since Azmuth has shown previously being able to create living planets) could recycle the remains of the previous planets eaten by the Gourmands to create a new one? I'm just saying, because if there's always someone (or something) that feed on what you leave, I guess the remains of one planet could be useful to create a new one, don't you think?

8º) It was really weird for me to see Water Hazard with the "protective mask" shown by its action figure previously. I don't get it, what's the point of this mask? I think Water Hazard looks much better without it, honestly.

9º) The Wheel-Tank vehicle didn't impress me. It was no-original, honestly. I have seen a lot of vehicles similarly designed like this one in Marvel and DC Comics.

10º) I imagined that Attea would lie to his father to save her own skin. But it need a little help about something. What did exactly Milleous say at the end of the episode? I didn't get it. Specially when he activated the hologram or something that it looked like the Earth.

Well, what is your opinions and who can answer my question, please?


1.Nyancy powers probably work on non sapien beings,she no meet to be a serious villain
2.my favorites are the Merks
3.yeah pretty cool but Aggregor never had a planet buster device
4.Ben was going to transform in to Fasttrack in Have i got a deal for you ,he haven't tranfomed it to him yet.
5.Rules Of Engagement events happened before Showdown ,it CN meddling that switched the episode order. .
6.their alien bodies could have resisted it
7.dunno
8.i don't like it either
9.so? Vilgax had a similar one in the OS.

55 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 4:58 am

Tsuchimikado Motoharu

avatar
Magister
Magister
Ursalink wrote:

1º) Nyancy Chan: Honestly, I found her as a ridiculous villain with the classic "cat-girl" topic. Please, did you saw the trap where Rook and Ben were trapped just when the episode started? It reminds me when a "cheap villain" from "Kim Possible" named Frugal Lucre tried to do the same with a "bitter-turtles" trap. You know?, I think Gwen would get angry with this girl because she uses the same topic of "Lucky Girl". (Her Lucky Girl's mask uses to have a feline design, and it's a way more attractive design that Nyancy's costume). Rook's species is cat-like?, I always saw his species more similar to racoons than cats. At least, of the weird villains that made a cameo in "Special Delivery" has been introduced. Ben's fight againt the tigers, it made me wonder if Ben should have used Rath for that battle. That would have been a real catfight!! But, do you think Nyancy could have been able to control Rath since he's a pretty dumb "cat"? Or her powers wouldn't have worked on him just like they didn't work on Rook?

Nah, Rook has always been feline ish. It's likely that Rath would have been much more easily hypnotized. Rook is smart, Rath is brash. Also, cats aren't really Lucky Girl's motif. It's a symbol she uses, but that's as far as it goes.


+ If they are naked, my favourite race is the Merks (the version used since Alien Force); but there's an error in this episode. The Perks (original design in the first series) have three tongues, but the Merks (design from AF and UA) has just one normal tongue. You can see Merk Upchuck's tongue in the special "Ben 10/Generator Rex: Heroes United" and some episodes like "Inspector #13". So why did they make the Merks have a three tongues in this episode?

Cause one tongue is boring and un-Gourmand-like.

+ There's something I don't get from the Gourmands. In two scenes of the episode, we have seen them moving through the space's void (burping) and surviving; but in another scene, it seems they can't breathe or survive in space. If they can't breathe in space, how can they survive when they flight through the space with those "mega burpings"?


Hard to say. But one should note, they were prepared when they were burping to the ship, while being thrown out of the airlock was a surprise.

+ I almost kill myself when the Queen almost swallow Attea, but I'm not sure because it's was incredibly funny, or incredibly gross.

It was definitely funny.


4º) Ben mentioned Jetray and he tried to use it, but he was turned into Big Chill instead. Well, I hope this is a hint that means we will see Jetray in the future. I really want to see all Ben's alien forms with new designs for Omniverse.

I agree, though as painlee said, we can't assume that just because he was mentioned he'd appear. I am a little disappointed, however, since this seemed like a perfect time to use Jet Ray. Eh.

5º) I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's just me or the new Teen Attea has a more "attractive look" than in her previous appearance. Do you think she could have a big role in the future of the series? If you ask me, I think the episode "Rules of Engagement" could be perfect for her to appear; since it's gathering a lot of girls from Ben's life. I think it coul dbe interesting to see Attea and Looma fighting each other, don't you think?

Yes, she has a much better appearance this time around, and yes, she has a bigger role. Specifically, she is the main villain of arc 3. This is also her first appearance in Omniverse. Rules of Engagement takes place before, and besides, Attea is not a love interest of Ben's.

I do think the fact that she is the main antagonist of this arc really interesting, as an additional note. This is the first time a minor villain has had an arc devoted to them, especially since the OS ended.

6º) I was a little nervous in the scenes where Ben and several other characters were thrown to the space. I see they couldn't breathe in the void, but how is it possible that they didn't explode because of the internal pressure from their bodies? Specially Attea, who only had a gas mask?
They're aliens.

7º) Something weird I just thought. Do you think the Galvans (since Azmuth has shown previously being able to create living planets) could recycle the remains of the previous planets eaten by the Gourmands to create a new one? I'm just saying, because if there's always someone (or something) that feed on what you leave, I guess the remains of one planet could be useful to create a new one, don't you think?
Well, they probably could, but that's not a real issue. The Peptos system has a lot of planets.

8º) It was really weird for me to see Water Hazard with the "protective mask" shown by its action figure previously. I don't get it, what's the point of this mask? I think Water Hazard looks much better without it, honestly.

I do agree that he looks better without it, but it's a cool little thing. The idea is he would use it when underwater. I'm guessing he used it then because of the wind.


10º) I imagined that Attea would lie to his father to save her own skin. But it need a little help about something. What did exactly Milleous say at the end of the episode? I didn't get it. Specially when he activated the hologram or something that it looked like the Earth.

He said that the destruction of Peptos XI would serve as an indication to other planets to kneel down to the Incursions without resistance, but that some systems wouldn't even get the chance to surrender--so basically, he plans to destroy or conquer some planets outright. One of these planets is Earth.

Lukey wrote:
Lodestar's Advocate wrote:Why?

I mean, I can understand (even if I disagree) that you don't like the sillier aspects overshadowing the main plot. But if that doesn't happen, and it didn't in this episode, what's wrong with some silly stuff thrown in? Upchuck has always been a bit of a joke alien, so it makes sense that the Gourmands would be played for laughs.

Yeah, it definitely didn't overshadow the plot at all. I just personally didn't enjoy those bits.

I'm just coming to terms with accepting the fact that Omniverse is a very different show with very different priorities to previous Ben 10 series, so I actually wasn't criticising what I mentioned as a flaw in the episode, I just personally could have done without it.

Okay then. But it's sounding like you just don't enjoy any jokes at all? Well, whatever suits you I guess.


Ursalink wrote:
+ I know these guys don't usually need weapons because they can eat anything; but seriously, using spoons and forks as weapons? And cup and plates as helmets?!!

Did this seriously happen? I must have missed that on the so-so quality version of the ep I watched...
That takes a chunk out of my approval rating for this episode D:

You guys find a better tool for aliens with eating powers than eating utensils, and get back to me, kay?

56 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 4:47 pm

Kariachi

avatar
Plumber Trainee
Plumber Trainee
Four things.

1) I feel like the whole 'swarm gastronomy' thing should have surprised me, but it really didn't. Kinda awesome.

2) It's also possible that Rook's comment about the Highbreed could also have been meant along the lines of 'maybe they destroyed it while they were still evil', although the 'before, they would have' is most probable.

3) I don't think Aggregor is the 'planet destroying' type anyway. I think if he was going to try to conquer one specific world he would probably use subversive tactics to take control before pulling out whatever weapons and powers he's got on hand to decimate any who rebel before they can become a real problem.

4) The Gourmand are a species of big eaters, for whom consumption is their main weapon. Is it any surprise that their other weapons would double as eating utensils?

57 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 5:50 pm

Lukey

avatar
Plumber
Plumber
Lodestar's Advocate wrote:
Okay then. But it's sounding like you just don't enjoy any jokes at all? Well, whatever suits you I guess.

...okay?
I can assure you there are many things I find funny, Omniverse just isn't one of them. The humour used in the show, in my opinion, is easily thrown away and often quite childish. They're just not the kind of things I tend to find funny.



Lodestar's Advocate wrote:
You guys find a better tool for aliens with eating powers than eating utensils, and get back to me, kay?

First of all, it's just a very silly idea. It's an idea better suited to a creature from Alice In Wonderland than an alien in Ben 10.
Second of all, it's so against what past Ben 10 shows would do that it's a little hard to accept or ignore.

58 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 7:49 pm

ZeroRecoil

avatar
Plumber
Plumber
Lukey wrote:

Lodestar's Advocate wrote:
You guys find a better tool for aliens with eating powers than eating utensils, and get back to me, kay?

First of all, it's just a very silly idea. It's an idea better suited to a creature from Alice In Wonderland than an alien in Ben 10.
Second of all, it's so against what past Ben 10 shows would do that it's a little hard to accept or ignore.

It's fine that you don't find it funny, however saying that just because you discovered a minor detail about the episode that you didn't notice while watching it in some way ruined the episode for you is a bit far. Shows like these are all about enjoying yourself by watching them, and I don't see how finding about the Gourmand's artillery ruins that enjoyment you had.

Anyway, I'm not here just to join in this circlejerk against Lukey (especially since I think that out of all the non-Omniverse fans here his criticism is the best), but to tell you about my own major problem with this episode, and that is to do with timing. This episode was way to full of useless stuff, and I'm not talking about the jokes, they were fine, some better than others though, the hmmm...food joke died with the Simpsons I'm afraid, but I digress.

Stuff like the Murk-Perk conflict, and especially the Ben-Rook conflict, ate up a lot of the episode time, the M-P conflict didn't really get a conclusion apart from them being united by their queen, and the B-R conflict didn't get a continuation apart from the first scene.

If you don't think that this is a problem then watch the episode again, in particular the action scenes, the poor division of time in this episode lead to everything from Spidermonkey escaping with the queen to Water Hazard defeating Attea being a complete mess. So much stuff is flying at you in those scenes that its impossible to tell what's going on half the time, not to mention that this is quite a chaotic scene as it is, with two parties fighting and the Queen being thrown between them. It's just joke after action scene being thrown at you with no time to let the characters breathe or to build up tension, not to mention actually allowing you to see what's going on.

This may not have annoyed you or had an impact on your viewing experience, but it annoyed me. Timing is something that Season 1 and 2 did so well, and something that UA did so badly, it is why I'm such a big fan of simple plot lines as opposed to big plotlines which just don't fit comfortably into 22 minutes, and something has to be sacrificed to save time.

But yeah, everything else in this episode was really quite cool. even if they only brought Mr. Micheal Richards in for two lines and then were like, "yeah, cool, see you in two weeks."

59 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 10:03 pm

Tsuchimikado Motoharu

avatar
Magister
Magister
Lukey wrote:

Lodestar's Advocate wrote:
You guys find a better tool for aliens with eating powers than eating utensils, and get back to me, kay?

First of all, it's just a very silly idea. It's an idea better suited to a creature from Alice In Wonderland than an alien in Ben 10.
Second of all, it's so against what past Ben 10 shows would do that it's a little hard to accept or ignore.

Yeah, it is a pretty silly idea. So? Gourmands are a really silly idea. They eat stuff and then they vomit explosive goo. They're ridiculous. Any episode centered on them has the right to be silly. So they have spoons and and forks as weapons. Why not? Spoons are hard, blunt objects, no worse than a club. Forks are legitimate weapons (see pitchforks, tridents) so they are perfectly fine. And more importantly, they fit the theme. It really kind of baffles me that this could be a big deal.

Then again, I do love unusual weapons. One of my favorite comics, Homestuck, has silly weapons up the kazoo, from bunnies to needles to juggling clubs to fancy santas, and yes, spoons and forks. Of course, the character that uses the spoon/fork has Alice in Wonderland themes surrounding her, so I suppose what you said still applies.

What I'm trying to say is, when presented with something like using eating utensils as weapons, most people would probably say "what," while I think "yeah that's about right."

I dunno.

I just think it is not that big a deal.

60 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 11:07 pm

Lukey

avatar
Plumber
Plumber
ZeroRecoil wrote:
It's fine that you don't find it funny, however saying that just because you discovered a minor detail about the episode that you didn't notice while watching it in some way ruined the episode for you is a bit far. Shows like these are all about enjoying yourself by watching them, and I don't see how finding about the Gourmand's artillery ruins that enjoyment you had.

It didn't ruin the episode for me, it just really yanks me out of any investment I had in the story. It's like when that squirrel put on the hat in the Driba & Blukic episode. As if that episode wasn't ridiculous enough, when I saw that squirrel do what it did, I just gave up.

Call me boring but I just find that it ruins the creative integrity of the show. I've always thought of Ben 10 as something that is fundamentally supposed to be sci-fi. Now, I'm more than willing to withhold my disbelief for great storytelling and concepts, but when those things aren't present, these humorous touches just lessen the show's artistic dignity. In my opinion.


Lodestar's Advocate wrote:
Yeah, it is a pretty silly idea. So? Gourmands are a really silly idea. They eat stuff and then they vomit explosive goo. They're ridiculous. Any episode centered on them has the right to be silly. So they have spoons and and forks as weapons. Why not? Spoons are hard, blunt objects, no worse than a club. Forks are legitimate weapons (see pitchforks, tridents) so they are perfectly fine. And more importantly, they fit the theme. It really kind of baffles me that this could be a big deal.

Then again, I do love unusual weapons. One of my favorite comics, Homestuck, has silly weapons up the kazoo, from bunnies to needles to juggling clubs to fancy santas, and yes, spoons and forks. Of course, the character that uses the spoon/fork has Alice in Wonderland themes surrounding her, so I suppose what you said still applies.

What I'm trying to say is, when presented with something like using eating utensils as weapons, most people would probably say "what," while I think "yeah that's about right."

I dunno.

I just think it is not that big a deal.

You're right, it's not that big of a deal, I actually still quite like the episode, but again, it's something I would have preferred to have been left out. It didn't ruin the episode so much for me as it did lessen my view of the strength of the creative vision of the show's crew.

We just have different tastes, Lodestar's Advocate. I think I'm more of a Dark Knight guy, and you're more of an Avengers guy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S: I personally do actually like The Avengers, but compared to Nolan's Batman films, it just doesn't hold up Razz

61 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 25th February 2013, 11:21 pm

Lukey

avatar
Plumber
Plumber
Lodestar's Advocate wrote:

Yeah, it is a pretty silly idea. So? Gourmands are a really silly idea. They eat stuff and then they vomit explosive goo. They're ridiculous. Any episode centered on them has the right to be silly. So they have spoons and and forks as weapons. Why not? Spoons are hard, blunt objects, no worse than a club. Forks are legitimate weapons (see pitchforks, tridents) so they are perfectly fine. And more importantly, they fit the theme. It really kind of baffles me that this could be a big deal.

Sorry for double posting, but I just wanted to address this point. Yes, maybe Gourmands are a silly idea, but I was willing to suspend my disbelief because they were aliens. The explanation for their silliness, was because they were aliens, which was enough for me to accept them. I mean, who knows what powers the far reaches of the universe could hold?

Now, the whole spoon and forks thing. Well, the reason I don't like it is because it seems like it's another thing that's just there to be a gag. I also find it to be a little creatively lazy in context of the fact that these guys are meant to be on a different planet. I've always extremely disliked animal-based aliens in fiction, and this is just a different example of the same thing. I would take a crazy, out-there idea over something that is basically just a copy and paste job of something commonly found here on Earth. But that's just me. I would prefer an 8 legged blob with 2 heads and a tail over an alien that is essentially a human with a dog for a head any day.

62 Re: TUMMY TROUBLE SPOILERS AND TALKBACK on 26th February 2013, 5:34 am

Tsuchimikado Motoharu

avatar
Magister
Magister

Lodestar's Advocate wrote:
Yeah, it is a pretty silly idea. So? Gourmands are a really silly idea. They eat stuff and then they vomit explosive goo. They're ridiculous. Any episode centered on them has the right to be silly. So they have spoons and and forks as weapons. Why not? Spoons are hard, blunt objects, no worse than a club. Forks are legitimate weapons (see pitchforks, tridents) so they are perfectly fine. And more importantly, they fit the theme. It really kind of baffles me that this could be a big deal.

Then again, I do love unusual weapons. One of my favorite comics, Homestuck, has silly weapons up the kazoo, from bunnies to needles to juggling clubs to fancy santas, and yes, spoons and forks. Of course, the character that uses the spoon/fork has Alice in Wonderland themes surrounding her, so I suppose what you said still applies.

What I'm trying to say is, when presented with something like using eating utensils as weapons, most people would probably say "what," while I think "yeah that's about right."

I dunno.

I just think it is not that big a deal.

You're right, it's not that big of a deal, I actually still quite like the episode, but again, it's something I would have preferred to have been left out. It didn't ruin the episode so much for me as it did lessen my view of the strength of the creative vision of the show's crew.

We just have different tastes, Lodestar's Advocate. I think I'm more of a Dark Knight guy, and you're more of an Avengers guy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S: I personally do actually like The Avengers, but compared to Nolan's Batman films, it just doesn't hold up :P

Not necessarily. I liked both movies individually about the same amount. And even though I think the Avengers is the pinnacle of summer blockbusters and especially superhero movies, I do think the Nolan trilogy was a superior series in itself, perhaps because as a shorter and real series, it had much more finesse. I don't think it's a matter of taste so much as expectations (though of course taste does matter). The Avengers and the Dark Knight Rises are completely different movies, with different end goals, different styles, and different tones. I can enjoy both fully because I know that this is the fact. Comparing them is a pretty meaningless exercise, at least from where I stand. I only expected from each movie what it promised, so I was not let down.

I think it's almost the same thing with Omniverse. You mentioned before that you were still getting used to the fact that OV is a considerably different series than previous series, in tone and execution. This change in itself is not necessarily bad, but we as human beings do not like change. If we keep expecting from Omniverse what we wanted from previous series there will be nothing but disappointment down our alley. So I don't. And, at least for me, Omniverse is delivering much more than UAF ever did, so eh. My expectations have shifted, but they are being met. That satisfies me, at least.

Sorry for double posting, but I just wanted to address this point. Yes, maybe Gourmands are a silly idea, but I was willing to suspend my disbelief because they were aliens. The explanation for their silliness, was because they were aliens, which was enough for me to accept them. I mean, who knows what powers the far reaches of the universe could hold?

Now, the whole spoon and forks thing. Well, the reason I don't like it is because it seems like it's another thing that's just there to be a gag. I also find it to be a little creatively lazy in context of the fact that these guys are meant to be on a different planet. I've always extremely disliked animal-based aliens in fiction, and this is just a different example of the same thing. I would take a crazy, out-there idea over something that is basically just a copy and paste job of something commonly found here on Earth. But that's just me. I would prefer an 8 legged blob with 2 heads and a tail over an alien that is essentially a human with a dog for a head any day.

I do see what you mean, but at the same time, it has to be addressed that people may think differently of worldbuilding on a large scale than you or I or anybody does. You say that aliens that are based on animals turn you off (and I agree to an extent), but then, let's consider what we know. Our scientists theorize that a planet that bears life would have to have some sort of environment similar to Earth, and if that's the case, in the limitless reaches of fiction, why could such an environment not produce life similar to ours? In any case, these kinds of aliens have been present since the beginning of Ben 10, and they were certainly not absent in UAF.

Also, I have to disagree that they serve just as gags. Completely. The forks/spoons are actually a pretty clever way to further illustrate the divide between the Perks and Murks. Murks use forks exclusively. Forks are a very 'active' type of utensil, more brash and dangerous. Like the Murks. The spoon, on the other hand, is a more 'passive' tool, which fits the Perks perfectly.

Or maybe I'm crazy and I'm the only person that assigns such attributes to eating utensils. I don't know.

I probably am.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum