In memory of Dwayne McDuffie.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ben 10 AF/UA

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ben 10 AF/UA on 5th June 2013, 9:24 pm

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
This is a thread for af/ua, considering the new boards want to talk about ov a lot now. No need to move it this to the Ben 10 boards.

Perfect Girlfriend is an episode I realized I liked from a thematic point of view about romance, Independence, sure I thought the episode was a bit cheesy but overall it's grown on me.

Origin stories, did AF/UA really need them, part of the mystique was that the show wasn't in your face with information. We alway's got some information about alien species but the mystery of what we'll never know was part of the fun. Same with the omnitrix, like Dwayne mentioned before it's important to feed those fans who want to know about the omnitrix but don't overfeed them.

This directly comes from episodes like Kevin's Big Score and Absolute Power, we see who Kevin is NOW and the mention who he was THEN but the actions of the present dictate the story.

As much as I liked Nor The Iron Bars and Vendetta, they don't add to much to actually see flashbacks, the mention of them is effective enough. From Kevin's stepdad mentioning he burned there house down or Ben and Kevin's rivalry only mentioned not seen.

Solitary Alignment felt too in your face, but Moonstruck was awesome because it told a story no one has ever mentioned as worked.

2 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 5th June 2013, 10:59 pm

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
More of an OS comment

I know people miss the classic style of the show but if that's true why didn't more people check out Young Justice, Avengers EMH designs, they had alien designs that are just like the B10 OS designs (Tom Perkins, Phil Broussa) same designers, better written shows

3 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 6th June 2013, 2:02 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Themes

Perfect Girlfriend/Revenge Of The Swarm - Desire/Love/Independence

Absolute Power- Forgiveness/Friendship/Power Corruption/ Old Yeller

Kevin's Big Score- Trust

Everybody Hates The Weather- Heritage
What Little Girls Are Made Of?- Heritage/Family

4 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 7th June 2013, 4:11 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Ben 10 Returns, The Final Battle, Absolute Power feel like they can be cut into 3 parts by the 17 minute mark

The AF aliens are designed more like masked superheroes, Swampfire and Fasttrack specifically

Best Ben focused episodes: The Final Battle, Night Of The Living Nightmare,

Last edited by mace23 on 8th June 2013, 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

5 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 7th June 2013, 4:47 am

datdude

Plumber
Plumber
I loved the af ua style so much more.

Favorite episodes are but not limited too and in no particular order

Moonstruck
Its not easy being Gwen.
war of the worlds
all that glitters
Darkstar rising
couples retreat
enemy of my fernemy
in charmeds way
where the magic happens
vengeance of vilgax
the final battle
and the last 3 eps of UA i cant remember.

http://boldpueblo.com/users/kynn/private/Dwayne-Comic-02.jpg

This just kind of says is all now doesn't it.

6 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 7th June 2013, 9:21 pm

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
datdude wrote:
and the last 3 eps of UA i cant remember.

The Beginning Of The End/Ultimate Enemy Smile

I'm one of the fans who is quite happy with Ultimate Enemy being the end of Ben 10 for me, there's always a few questions I wish were answered but for the most part it's an excellent sendoff, the only thing I wished we could've had was an episode following up the Forever Knights, Kevin's Rampage and Aggregor modeled after JLUs Patriot act and AFs If All Else Fails and some more stuff about Magic/Osmosians.

While Trade Off is a good episode, I felt it should've focused more on the Dominus Libruim

The show in general is more about the series Mythology with the characterization sprinkled througout

AF and Kevin is comparable to Tommy Oliver from Power Rangers Dinothunder, they could've made the show a big MMPR callback to get the series former glory back but instead decided to focus on the new leads and elements and used the old legacy as more of a springboard

http://www.titanstower.com/sdcc-2008-glen-murakami-on-ben-10-alien-force/

"The panel discussed the shift from “Ben 10″ to “Ben 10: Alien Force.” Glen Murakami imagined “Ben 10: Alien Force” as “Scobby Doo” meets “X-Files,” citing the strong mystery-meets-sci-fi nature of the program. He also likened it to the “old school 70s teen character driven” shows.

"Many episodes contain information that will pay off later on. The creators stressed that “there are no filler episodes.” Each episode contributes in some way to the mythology. It’s all important. They will also re-introduce some characters from the previous “Ben 10″ series, and we will see what became of them. We will also see old and new Plumber kids in future episodes."

funny comment

MetFanMac / August 6, 2008
“No filler episodes” = you can’t miss any episodes if you want to understand what’s going on = no fun. Teen Titans was fun.

Last edited by mace23 on 12th June 2013, 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

7 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 9th June 2013, 6:52 pm

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Favorite Len Uhley episode" Creature From Beyond,seen this one many times, definitely the most exciting storyarc start up and it fufills it's promise with all the later FK episodes , it's even more exciting then the Highbreed season. Fused is a close second, mainly for being such a great arc episode showing the threat Aggregor is and I love the conflict of breaking the Ultimatrix. Moonstruck reminds me of smallville, that's a compliment Very Happy and Time Heals was beautiful

Least favorite: a tie between Enemy Of My Enemy and Double Or Nothing, despite being well written it's not too funny , the stuff about the theater sueing them at the end was the only funny part, Inferno and Duped were much more funny then either of these. Argit and the Vreedles really bogged down the Ultimate Kevin story

Last edited by mace23 on 9th June 2013, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

8 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 9th June 2013, 10:02 pm

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Favorite Matt Wayne episodes: What Little Girls Are Made of, my favorite episode, it's the finest display of the series mythology and character. Ultimate Enemy Pt 1 surprisingly is on the top of the list, used to be my 6th favorite. It has some of my favorite moments in the Forever Knights storyline and parallels with Kevin's Big Score and Creature From Beyond so well.

Least Favorite
Ben = X+2 Easily said, the Incusians are lame
Mother OF All Vreedles, nuff said

9 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 9th June 2013, 10:43 pm

jashro

Human
Human
It honestly has been a while since I have seen the show but I think my favorite episode would have to be prisoner 775 is missing.

10 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 10th June 2013, 5:00 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
jashro wrote:It honestly has been a while since I have seen the show but I think my favorite episode would have to be prisoner 775 is missing.
Nice choice, I have a huge issue making too many lists and welcome back jashro, haven't seen you in awhile

11 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 13th June 2013, 12:01 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Posting these Smile

Character Facts of the Week: Kevin Levin from Ben 10
Monday, March 26, 2012 - 17:28

Kevin Levin is one of the characters from Ben 10, along with Ben Tennyson and Gwen Tennyson. Here are ten facts about the character. Did you know all of them?
1. Kevin’s father’s name was Devin Levin, and he was a Plumber.
2. Kevin's full name is Kevin Ethan Levin, which can be said ‘Kevin E Levin’ (a play on words Kevin 11).
[color][font]
3. Harvey Hackett married Kevin’s mother when Kevin was 4 years old, becoming Kevin's stepfather.
4. When Kevin was eleven he was driven out of his home by his stepfather, and ran away to New York, where he made his home in an abandoned subway.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
5. Kevin was first encountered by Ben in an arcade, where, after befriending him, he was threatened by bullies and saved by XLR8. Ben and Kevin attempted to steal a video game from a warehouse and got caught by the police, forcing Ben to reveal the Omnitrix to Kevin in order to escape.
6. Kevin has the ability to absorb the energy and matter of anything through his body at will and use it in various ways. This includes electricity, DNA, memories of other life forms, powers of other life forms, fire, water, plasma, chemical energy, kinetic energy and matter.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
7. Kevin has a vast scientific and technological knowledge of alien paraphernalia - he once mentioned that he learned astrophysics on the streets.
8. Kevin is a good mechanic, he has fixed his car numerous times and also modified it with alien technology.
9. Kevin is the only Plumber kid to beat Ben in a fight (this doesn't include Pierce, because Ben let him win).
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
10. Kevin loves watching opera shows.
Click here to see our other Character Facts of the Week blogs.
Click here to get Ben 10 games, downloads and videos![/font][/color]

12 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 13th June 2013, 12:02 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Character Facts of the Week: Ben Tennyson from Ben 10
Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - 13:24

Ben Tennyson is the main character from Ben 10,  and the hero behind all of the Omnitrix and Ultimatrix aliens. Here are ten facts about him. Did you know all of them? Let us know below if you know any more.
1. The Omnitrix attached itself to Ben’s left wrist when he was on a walk in the woods, whilst camping with his grandfather Max and cousin Gwen.
[color][font]
2. Ben’s full name is Benjamin Kirby Tennyson.
3. By the end of the original series, Ben had discovered a total of twenty Omnitrix aliens, and by the Ultimate Alien series there had been sixty-three aliens in total.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
4. When Ben transforms he takes on all the alien's features, including appearance, voice, unique special abilities, powers and strengths.
5. Ben takes after his grandmother with his sense of humour and also has his grandfather's determination!
6. Two of the aliens, Ghostfreak and Big Chill, have managed to actually take over Ben's personality when he turns into them.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
7. Ben passed the Plumbers Academy with 95 out of 100 - without using his powers.
8. Ben has a good memory, at one glance he was able to write down the mystic rune-like symbols for entering into the inter-dimensional realm of Ledgerdomain.
9. When Ben puts the Omnitrix back on in Ben 10 Alien Force, the Omnitrix recalibrated with a more watch-like appearance and had a new set of stronger aliens with more powers.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
10. When Ben started dating his girlfriend Julie, he was forced to reveal his powers after he was attacked on their date, but Julie just called the Omnitrix 'cool'!

13 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 13th June 2013, 12:02 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Character Facts of the Week: Gwen Tennyson from Ben 10
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 16:10

[color][font]
Gwen Tennyson is one of the characters from Ben 10, along with Ben Tennyson and Kevin Levin. Here are ten facts about the character. Did you know all of them? Let us know below if you know any more!
1. In Ben 10, Gwen wears a blue shirt with a cat logo on the front, however in Ben 10,000 Returns the cat has disappeared.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
2.  Gwen has a magical aura and can use various magical artefacts, charms, talismans and spells.
3. When Gwen uses the Charms of Bezels talisman, she turns into a superhero called Lucky Girl.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
4. Gwen has a black belt in karate.
5. Gwen's powers and abilities are revealed to be of alien descent. Gwen's paternal grandmother Verdona, is an energy being known as Anodite from the distant planet Anodyne.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
6. Kevin gave Gwen a locket with a picture of both of them in.
7. Gwen suffers from arachnophobia and claustrophobia.
8. Gwen gets jealous when Jennifer Nocturne flirts with Kevin, after he saves her. Gwen later warns Jennifer against making another move!
[/font][/color]
[color][font]
9. Gwen is currently the only main character to not have a source of transportation without her powers.
10. On a school day, Gwen gets up at 5.30am so she can go for a jog and then practise French before school. She then goes to school, and then takes part in an after-school karate class.
[/font][/color]
[color][font]

14 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 15th June 2013, 3:58 am

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
The way Gwen's karate moves were directed in the series was pretty decent and believable, some were quite accurate

Kevin's Big Score, Good Copy Bad Copy, Prisoner 775 is Missing, Night Of The Living Nightmare, The Beginning Of The End/The Ultimate Enemy Pt1&2  really play around with 3 act structure in an innovative way

15 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 26th June 2013, 7:53 pm

mace23

Plumber
Plumber
Absolute Power has some major payoff and parallels to Vengeance Of Vilgax, rewatch watch them back to back Wink

My only problem with Ultimate Enemy is Butch Lukic and Bob Smith doesn't get to direct and board Part 1 though Luke Weber and Chuck Patton do a commendable job.

Every callback to Absolute Power I can think of Part 1

Vengeance Of Vilgax & The Final Battle, Forge Of Creation- Ben's fault for Kevin's mutation

Trade Off- The Dominus Librium and Darkstar's hunger (There's only one way to stop a mad dog)

In Charms Way & Time Heals, - Gwen's efforts to cure Kevin

Vendetta, Nor The Iron Bars Cage, Ultimate Aggregor- Kevin's Dad, Kevin's past,

Fame, Perplexhedron, Ultimate Aggregor - Kevin is Ben's best friend and surrogate brother

Map Of Infinity, Ultimate Aggregor- Ben's Ultimate enemy

There are only 3 sagas

Highbreed AF season 1 and 2
Osmosian Saga AF season 3 and UA 1 &2
Forever Knights UA season 3

16 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 25th July 2014, 6:10 pm

Osmos

My two favorite series of Ben 10 franchise, Absolute Power is the best episode of the entire Ben 10 series.

17 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 25th July 2014, 6:11 pm

Tammar

Plumber
Plumber
Osmos wrote:My two favorite series of Ben 10 franchise, Absolute Power is the best episode of the entire Ben 10 series.
My favorite is War of the Worlds

18 Re: Ben 10 AF/UA on 8th August 2014, 9:52 pm

Omni-Highbreed97

Plumber Trainee
Plumber Trainee
What was "Absolute Power" about? My memories let me down. Smile

I really like UAF. My favorite was the Highbreed saga.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum