14% 14% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 6th May 2012, 9:50 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
I found a nice list that I think sums up the stuff that The Dark Knight Rises can beat the Avengers in. http://screenrant.com/dark-knight-rises-vs-avengers-discussion-johnh-168387/

27 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 6th May 2012, 9:55 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
Iron Man seems to be winning in the poll Laughing .
Of course, I can't blame anyone. The movies Tony Stark is THE definitive version of Iron Man and his performance had a huge impact on the comics and especially the character. Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man and no one else can ever do the role as good as him. (And he's funny Laughing )

28 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 6th May 2012, 12:20 pm

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder
Zero Degrees wrote:I found a nice list that I think sums up the stuff that The Dark Knight Rises can beat the Avengers in. http://screenrant.com/dark-knight-rises-vs-avengers-discussion-johnh-168387/
Next movie discussion?Or should it be Man In Black 3 and then The Dark Knight Rises?

29 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 6th May 2012, 4:37 pm

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
Sebastian13 wrote:
Zero Degrees wrote:I found a nice list that I think sums up the stuff that The Dark Knight Rises can beat the Avengers in. http://screenrant.com/dark-knight-rises-vs-avengers-discussion-johnh-168387/
Next movie discussion?Or should it be Man In Black 3 and then The Dark Knight Rises?
I don't know really...The Dark Knight Rises is the most anticipated upcoming movie though.

30 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 7th May 2012, 1:25 pm

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
The Avengers is really big. I love all the new memes about it Laughing .

31 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 8th May 2012, 11:46 am

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder
A good article on why pirating doesn't truly affect ticket sales:

http://torrentfreak.com/the-avengers-why-pirates-failed-to-prevent-a-box-office-record-120508/

32 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 8th May 2012, 12:24 pm

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder

33 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 9th May 2012, 3:41 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
The movie made 700 million worldwide Shocked .

Sorry to state the obvious but Avengers 2 has been confirmed Very Happy . After Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2 Shocked . I hope they pull the "shared universe" thing off as good as the first time. And I hope they get the same director for Avengers 2 Smile .

http://movies.ign.com/articles/122/1224520p1.html

Last edited by Zero Degrees on 9th May 2012, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

34 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 9th May 2012, 4:18 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
Justice League trailer, Avengers style Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNXnuHNF8k&list=UUkan4ZKlryf94OFFZc53Ojg&index=2&feature=plcp

"The Avengers and Batman compare notes on whose film is the more innovative, genre re-defining blockbuster."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Mw8PSw2cE&list=UUkan4ZKlryf94OFFZc53Ojg&index=1&feature=plcp

Last edited by Zero Degrees on 9th May 2012, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

35 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 10th May 2012, 4:52 pm

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder

36 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 11th May 2012, 4:53 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
The total economic impact the Avengers caused to New York is estimated to be at least 160 billion dollars. This is pretty cool how they took the time to do this Laughing .

http://hurricane.methaz.org/avengers_estimate.pdf

37 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 12th May 2012, 1:26 pm

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
Sebastian13 wrote:
Laughing . So you haven't seen it yet? Tell me when you do Very Happy .

38 THE AVENGERS REVIEW on 12th May 2012, 1:34 pm

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
It may not be the best movie in the world. It's not even the best comic book or superhero movie. It's a damn good movie though. It knows it's a superhero movie and doesn't hold anything back. The plot is very simple but its brilliant execution more than compensates for that. Not to mention, it's the definitive Avengers origin story and yet it also manages to explore many different areas in all kinds of ways.

The performances were excellent and all the actors perfectly matched their characters. There was a lot of character development throughout the movie and a lot of deep exploration on each of the heroes. That's totally proof that The Avengers is smarter than people give it credit for. Surprisingly, I think they developed Black Widow the most. Their interactions were wonderful too and something only Joss Whedon can do. The group argument remains the highlight of the film. My only problem is Thor, Hawkeye and Maria Hill were heavily underused. Naturally, Robert Downey Jr. is the focus of the movie but the Hulk stole the show. The acting isn't emotional or dramatic but the characters react exactly as they would as the events happen.

Loki wasn't explored much but then again, we've seen much of him in Thor. He was still a good foil for the Avengers and they captured the fact that he's the God of Mischief, having him mess with the heroes' minds rather than outright killing them. They also touched upon the subjects of Captain America's leadership and strict, by-the-books personality, Tony Stark's selfishness (and heroism), Banner's conflict with the Hulk and some sexual tension with Hawkeye and Black Widow. I think they should have expanded upon the Chitauri's history because they were only really there for the Avengers to fight. Then again, I think it will be explained within the sequels, given the fact that we're not done with them yet. We also should have seen more closure on Captain America's awakening in the modern day because they kinda left that out.

Dialogue was excellent and had Whedon's trademark wit and snark but also many intelligent quotes. It's probably one of the most quotable movies of the year, mostly thanks to Tony Stark. He still does that Stark-banter-thing that he does. Avengers' still has its fair share of cheesiness of course. For example, the exchange between Thor and Loki was particularly cheesy in a Shakespeare way. Most of Loki's speeches were also cheesy yet menacing. Each character did sound like themselves luckily.

The movie doesn't hold back on the action either. The first part was a nice and slow build-up but the last two parts were basically taken from Transformers. New York is annihilated, literally! There's plenty explosions and destruction and the special effects were mindblowing! Unlike Michael Bay's trilogy though, this movie sneaks in real scenes in between the action. It's not entirely one giant action scene, since the second act involved fixing a falling Helicarrier and the third act exploited teamwork and strategies under Cap's leadership. Also, as expected, there are hero vs. hero battles. Hulk vs. Thor was a nice treat but Thor vs. Iron Man was kinda lackluster. And don't worry, Hulk smashes.

There are many more "superior" movies out there but very few are as good and as well done as The Avengers. It lives up to all the hype and even exceeds my ridiculously high expectations. It should satisfy the comic geeks but it's also a big treat for the general audience. No one but Whedon could have pulled off something as big as this in such a fantastic way. One of the best movies of the year.

9.5/10

Last edited by Zero Degrees on 15th May 2012, 2:15 pm; edited 5 times in total

39 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 12th May 2012, 1:37 pm

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder
No.I was supposed to see this weekend.I might still see it this weekend but I have to ask a friend and see when he would be free to go.I'll probably write my own review after I see it.

40 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 12th May 2012, 2:10 pm

BigChillfan10

Plumber
Plumber
Sebastian13 wrote:
I haven't seen it yet but I'm planning to see it tomorrow.

41 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 12th May 2012, 2:11 pm

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder
I'll PROBABLY see it tomorrow as well.
If not then... pirat

42 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 13th May 2012, 5:21 am

First-Psykon

Plumber
Plumber
I had just watched the Avengers 2 days ago and it's really awesome. I'm surprised there was a lot more comedy in the movie than I thought it would. It's got a lot of good action, too.
Spoiler:
The Hulk punching Thor after they were battling the invaders together was really funny.

43 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 13th May 2012, 7:19 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
First-Psykon wrote:I had just watched the Avengers 2 days ago and it's really awesome. I'm surprised there was a lot more comedy in the movie than I thought it would. It's got a lot of good action, too.
Spoiler:
The Hulk punching Thor after they were battling the invaders together was really funny.
I liked the part where
Spoiler:
Hulk smashed Loki like a ragdoll Laughing

Last edited by Zero Degrees on 13th May 2012, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

44 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 13th May 2012, 7:50 am

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder
First-Psykon wrote:I had just watched the Avengers 2 days ago and it's really awesome. I'm surprised there was a lot more comedy in the movie than I thought it would. It's got a lot of good action, too.
Spoiler:
Dude,you just spoiled the Hulk thing for me. Sad
I added a spoiler tag myself meanwhile but the harm is done.
I hope I will be able to see it today...I'm really,really curious about it.

45 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 13th May 2012, 9:23 am

Sebastian13

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder

Loki is really awesome.Can't wait to see him in action. Laughing

46 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 14th May 2012, 4:52 am

First-Psykon

Plumber
Plumber
Sebastian13 wrote:
Spoiler:
Dude,you just spoiled the Hulk thing for me. Sad
I added a spoiler tag myself meanwhile but the harm is done.
I hope I will be able to see it today...I'm really,really curious about it.
I'm so sorry. Have you seen it? What do you think?

47 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 15th May 2012, 2:13 pm

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
GREAT article about The Avengers and its theme of war.

Not too many spoilers but the third page has some big ones. It's also a much greater read after seeing (and understanding!) the movie.

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2012/05/15/avengers-fury-doctrine/

48 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 27th May 2012, 9:44 am

First-Psykon

Plumber
Plumber
Did Avengers really get a billion dollars in the box office?

49 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 27th May 2012, 9:53 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
First-Psykon wrote:Did Avengers really get a billion dollars in the box office?
Yes, it made a billion dollars, worldwide.

This week, though, I expect Men in Black 3 to take it down (I'm only talking about the weekend, not worldwide).

50 Re: Movie Discussion #1 - The Avengers on 6th June 2012, 8:55 am

Zero Degrees

Magister
Magister
How The Avengers Should Have Ended Laughing (spoilers, obviously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZkqC4Lz8dU

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum