You are not connected. Please login or register

The one thing I don't like about Ben 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The one thing I don't like about Ben 10 on 21st February 2015, 11:57 pm

SonicShane97

Human
Human
Okay,
so i'm done watching the original series and overall, I thoroughly enjoyed. However, there was something that irked me greatly throughout;
Ben comes up with the lamest, corniest jokes whenever he's fighting a villain.
Example;
When fighting Vilgax in secret of the Omnitrix, he opens the doors of the ship and as Vilgax is getting blown out he says "Later, VilGEEK!"

Uhhhhhh.......

There are countless other examples of Ben making really unfunny puns, and it's really cringeworthy. Does anyone else agree with this?

This is the one problem I have with an otherwise awesome series. Perhaps these terrible jokes were included because its a kids show but more importantly, maybe its a stepping stone in CN's path from good cartoons to downright trash comedies with the same kind of humour. The reason I don't like jokes in action-related fiction is because I think it derails attention from the action and makes the whole thing seem banal/trivial. This is one of my main reasons for preferring Naruto over Dragonball in general. I think if humour must be inserted into fighting scenes, it shouldn't be forced, as in the case of DB and Ben 10 (in my opinion). In Naruto, the humour is often well placed because it doesn't get in the way of fights and is natural. Dragonball, goes out of it's way to try and make you laugh if you know what I mean, a bit like Ben 10. In my opinion, things like DB and Ben 10 shouldn't try and force humour on you, because they're otherwise brilliant and they don't need to be funny.

So I'm going to continue to press onwards with the series. Is this kind of random humour still present?
Also, I've just realised that maybe these terrible jokes are meant to reflect Ben's immaturity, especially considering that he's only 10. I would accept this, but it comes off as less ironic but more attempting to force cheap laughs.

2 Re: The one thing I don't like about Ben 10 on 22nd February 2015, 3:18 am

Let Me Tell You Something

Plumber
Plumber
Alien Force/Ultimate Alien does this less, but some still end up popping up. But usually the delivery makes a world of a difference when they're saying the puns, as I honestly think young Ben's voice always emphasizes the awkwardness of the jokes. Omniverse has it more often than UAF, but less than the OS.

The most consistent Ben 10 humor is usually the references.

3 Re: The one thing I don't like about Ben 10 on 23rd February 2015, 3:00 am

The Omni Triforcer

Omnitrix Wielder
Omnitrix Wielder
SonicShane97 wrote:Okay,
so i'm done watching the original series and overall, I thoroughly enjoyed. However, there was something that irked me greatly throughout;
Ben comes up with the lamest, corniest jokes whenever he's fighting a villain.
Example;
When fighting Vilgax in secret of the Omnitrix, he opens the doors of the ship and as Vilgax is getting blown out he says "Later, VilGEEK!"

Uhhhhhh.......

There are countless other examples of Ben making really unfunny puns, and it's really cringeworthy. Does anyone else agree with this?

This is the one problem I have with an otherwise awesome series. Perhaps these terrible jokes were included because its a kids show but more importantly, maybe its a stepping stone in CN's path from good cartoons to downright trash comedies with the same kind of humour. The reason I don't like jokes in action-related fiction is because I think it derails attention from the action and makes the whole thing seem banal/trivial. This is one of my main reasons for preferring Naruto over Dragonball in general. I think if humour must be inserted into fighting scenes, it shouldn't be forced, as in the case of DB and Ben 10 (in my opinion). In Naruto, the humour is often well placed because it doesn't get in the way of fights and is natural. Dragonball, goes out of it's way to try and make you laugh if you know what I mean, a bit like Ben 10. In my opinion, things like DB and Ben 10 shouldn't try and force humour on you, because they're otherwise brilliant and they don't need to be funny.

So I'm going to continue to press onwards with the series. Is this kind of random humour still present?
Also, I've just realised that maybe these terrible jokes are meant to reflect Ben's immaturity, especially considering that he's only 10. I would accept this, but it comes off as less ironic but more attempting to force cheap laughs.
I feel the same way thats why i didnt like omniverse as much besides the and then there was episodes and the 2 parters there werent really any good episodes.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum